Discover the Birds of West TawakoniFebruary 1, 2022
Air-Purifying House Plants for a Healthier Home on Earth DayApril 1, 2022
There is lots to do at The Cloisters so get outside and have some fun
Spring is upon us and we are ready to get back to enjoying the outdoors! There are lots of options in West Tawakoni when it comes to outside activities.Â
Get out on Lake Tawakoni
Letâ€™s start with our amazing lake. From fishing to swimming, there are a plethora of things to do here. Itâ€™s also an inexpensive way to spend the day with family or friends.
- Fishing – Lake Tawakoni is a 37,879-acre reservoir. Fish the lake from shore or boat, or the kid fish pond. You donâ€™t need a fishing license to fish from shore in a state park. Bonus: You can borrow fishing gear at headquarters to use in the park. Learn More.
- Hike and bike – The park has nearly five miles of trails to explore and 376 acres of oak forest to connect with nature.
- Ranger Programs – Learn about nature and the history of the area. See events.
- Birding – Discover all our feathered friends. More on bird watching.
- Geocaching – You can hunt for â€śmodern-dayâ€ť treasure with this fun activity. There are tons of hidden gems around the lake. Learn about geocaching.
Head over to the City Park
The City Park is 15 plus-acre park where you can picnic and enjoy a few hours of relaxation. The City also hosts holiday events here throughout the year. Learn more.Â
- Picnic – There are 4 pavilions with picnic tables and grills at each site and numerous picnic tables spread throughout the rest of the park. Pack a picnic lunch and let the kids run off some excess energy on the playground.
- Get active – Thereâ€™s an area to set up horseshoes or volleyball. Shoot some hoops with your friends or throw around a ball with the kids.
- Fly a kite – This is a great place to fly a kite on a breezy day.
Other Fun Activities
Want to have fun outside but at home? Try these activities:
- Chalk it Up – Sidewalk chalk is an inexpensive fun past-time activity for adults and children alike. Get creative with colorful drawings, play some hopscotch, or create a â€śrace trackâ€ť with gnarly curves and loops in the driveway.
- Gaze at the stars – A fun nighttime activity is to spread a blanket in the yard and count the stars, look for shooting stars, or see how many constellations you can find. The stars at night are big in bright, deep in the heart of The Cloisters!
- Kickball – Kickball is much like baseball, but it’s played with a softer and larger ball. Thereâ€™s plenty of space to set up a field at The Cloisters.
- Decorate rocks – Use acrylic paints to turn rocks into ladybugs, butterflies, Pokemon, or anything else that captures your fancy. Paint them outside and then bring them inside to put on your mantle or leave them around the lake for others to enjoy. Spray them with a sealer so they last longer outside.
Enjoy the Outdoors
These are just a few ideas to get you started on all your outdoor adventures. Thereâ€™s just so much to do at The Cloisters of West Tawakoni!
Compiled by Leslie Radford